When you support Durham County Library’s Summer Reading Program you help children succeed.
For over fifty years, Durham County Library has provided the Summer Reading Program for thousands of Durham’s children.
Your support helps:
- prevent the summer slide;
- improve children’s literacy skills; and
- foster a lifelong love of reading.
Durham County Library’s Summer Reading Program:
- keeps children reading throughout the summer—reading as few as five books can help children maintain their academic skills for the new school year;
- reduces negative perceptions about summer learning for students who are struggling;
- offers extensive creative enrichment activities related to literature that are often not included in school because of time constraints;
- encourages readers to explore alternate formats such as magazines, recorded books, graphic novels or digital material; and
- develops patterns of reading during summer breaks as students return to the program year after year.
If you would like to learn about other ways of giving, visit our Make a Gift page.